The most common questions we get

How is the ceremony?

The ceremony will be in English or German. Although the ceremony is short and simple, it still offers you tho opportunity to enjoy your special moment. You will be standing in front of the registrar who will be conducting the ceremony. When you have said “yes” you may exchange rings. Afterwards you, the two witnesses and the registrar have to sign the marriage certificate. You are then officially married.

Do we need to bring witnesses?

No, you do not have to bring any witnesses. It is a part of our service to provide witnesses. However, you are welcome to bring your own witnesses/guests, if you wish.

Why do we need to arrive the day before our wedding?

The original documents and your passport must be verified and presented by you personally during business hours at the Citizens Office, Birkedalsvej 27, 3000 Helsingør – no later than the day before your wedding. If the original documents are not submitted in time to the Citizens Office the wedding can not take place and is considered cancelled from your side.

Opening hours at the Citizens Office, Birkedalsvej 27, 3000 Helsingør (not the same place as the City Hall)

Monday: 9.00-13.30
Tuesday: 9.00-13.30
Wednesday: Closed
Thursday: 9.00-17.00
Friday: 9.00-11.00

Is it possible to get married in a Danish church?

No, you have to be a member of the official Danish State Church to be married in one of our churches.

Is the marriage certificate valid worldwide?

Yes it is. However, in order to give your marriage certificate a higher level of international acceptance, we legalize one of your marriage certificates at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to make sure your certificate can be used within the countries that are member of the Hague Apostille Convention.

This apostille (legalization) is included as a standard in our packages and takes up to two weeks.

What if I have to use my marriage certificate in a country outside The Apostille Convention?

If you have to use your marriage certificate in a country that has not acceded the Apostille Convention, the Embassy of the country in question must legalize the Ministry of Foreign Affairs legalization.

Countries that have acceded to the Apostille Convention. 

If you have any questions, you have to contact the Embassy of the country.

Do we need to register our marriage when we return home?

Yes, when you get back to your country of residence, you need to take the marriage certificate to the local authorities for registration in the city where you live.

Can we change our names when we get married in Denmark?

No, it is only possible if you live in Denmark. If you want to change your name, this has to be done when you return home.

Why do couples go to Denmark to get married?

Throughout the times, Denmark has been famous for its simple and easy marriage procedures. Minimal documentation requirements and simplified administrative procedures have made Denmark one of the countries with the most liberal marriage laws. It is therefore an attractive wedding destination for foreign couples.

For this reason, couples from all over the world – often with two different nationalities – come to Denmark to get married.

Can same-sex couples get married in Denmark?

Yes, in Denmark we make no difference between heterosexual and gay marriages. Denmark was the first country in the world to recognize same-sex and LGBT couple´s right to get married and these couples are welcomed in Denmark. See more under “LGBT”

Why do we have to send the documents at least 2 weeks before the wedding takes place?

In order to secure the quality of your documents It takes 14 days for the municipality of Elsinore to process your documents.