Denmark is breathtakingly beautiful and it is a heaven for people in love! If you consider to get married then of course you’d love to get married in Denmark. Wondering what it takes to get married in Denmark? Well, you need to present a few documents which are mandatory and requested by the local authorities. Let us help you with the checklist of needed documents and related details in this Blog.
The Danish marriage laws are very flexible for foreign couple who want to get married in Denmark. However, a foreign couple must meet all the requirements decided by the Danish authority. First the municipality examines whether both parties fulfill all the requirements of a foreign couple wedding. This includes a particular documentation which you need to present. These documents cover:
- Residence Certificate of the Home Country
- Passport or other National Identification
- Birth Certificate
- Civil Status Certificate
- Death Certificate (If applicable)
- Absolute Divorce Decree (If applicable)
Most of the documents stated you can easily arrange and produce from your end except the Civil Status Certificate. Let us inform you what this certificate is and how you can collect it:
- The document called Letter of Impediment is often issued by the Childbirth authorities, or other similar authority.
It classifies your marital status – single, widowed or divorced.
- This certificate is not valid if it’s more than 4-month old.
- If it is in any language other than German, Danish or English, it must be translated into any of these three languages by an authorized translator.
- The Civil Status Certificate has to be presented in original and can’t be presented in digital.
- This certificate may not always be obtainable as not all the countries issue it. In that case, Marital Status Certificate may be reserved for the Parties with permanent residence with a particular country.
- If the Party, due to any reason, is not able to obtain the said certificate from his/her country’s corresponding authority, he/she needs to sign the Marriage Declaration under the Penalty of Perjury in order to confirm that the Party is unmarried.
- In case of a divorced Party, he/she must have a legal divorce in his/her country and in that case, the municipality shall ensure that there has been an international jurisdiction to hear the divorce proceedings. As the proof of foreign divorce, the
- Party has to submit the original Divorce Document which has a legally effective endorsement.
- To prove that the marriage is dissolved by a death abroad, the Party shall have to present the original Death Certificate.
Please bear in mind that if one or both of the parties comes from a country outside the European Union, the documents must be legalized or stamped with an Apostille. In case you have any further questions or need more details about the documentation required for getting married in Denmark – please do not hesitate to contact us. Do not worry as we, Elsinore Wedding, is ready to help you anytime! Reach us!