Denmark is one of those countries which have a simpler legal procedure and very less formalities to get married and legally register the marriage. The marriage certificate of Denmark is valid across the world. This simple wedding legislation makes Denmark the most favorite place to get married for couples who decide to have a destination wedding. We, Elsinore Wedding, are happy that we could be part of such mingles of lovely couples across the world who chose us as their wedding planner. The most common question we answer as a destination wedding planner is the required documents to get married in Denmark. This encourages us to write this article and share the complete list of required documents for a couple to get married here.
- Letter of non-impediment. It is also known as Civil Status or Certificate of non impediment (CNI). This shall reflect your marital status, such as single, divorced or widowed. This is the most important document to be presented to prove you are not married at the moment. Thus, it has to be issued in past 4 months. Furthermore, it has to be in English, Danish or German language. If it is in any other language. It has to be translated in any of the mentioned 3 languages by none other than an authorized translator. The USA doesn’t issue this document so if you are from the USA the Danish authorities accept that you do not have to present this document.
- Residential Proof of home country where you live. This is known as Residential certificate. You can put residential proof from a Bank, public authority or your Telecom Company as well.
- Birth Certificate
- Passport or National Identity Proof. You can also put military ID or Schengen visa.
- Certificate of Divorce or Death of Ex husband/wife. You need to represent the decree or certificate of divorce in case you, your partner or both of you had divorced or certificate of death, in case, anyone of you is widowed. This decree or certificate has to be in English, Danish or German language. If it is in any other language, you have to get it translated by an authorized translator in any of the mentioned three languages.
- The Notice of Marriage. This document needs to be printed, signed and submitted. You may download this notice in English or German language
So that is it! This is a complete list of documents required to get married in Denmark. Please keep one more thing in mind that if one of the partners is not from European Union (EU), then all of these documents need to be legalized or stamped with an Apostil.
If you have chosen Elsinore as your destination wedding location, then let us help you to arrange the required documents and all other things. We help the couple with all required paperwork including Apostil process, getting wedding certificate and courier it to the couple’s residence as part of wedding arrangements. To know more about our service and packages, please contact us!